Saturday, June 10, 2006

One Week To Go...

So only one week to go until the big commitment ceremony. I'm not really nervous, but just a little anxious to get it done and over with. So much planning and it'll be over quickly.

The big surprise was my parents' reaction. I had sent them an invitation with a personal note letting them know what we were doing and that I very much wanted them to be a part of it. I told them I understood if they never wanted to discuss it, but I still wanted them to consider it.

To my shock, my mother called and told me that since we were referring to it as a commitment ceremony and not a wedding, she could give her blessing to it. The folks even gave us $300 to throw the reception, which just further blew my mind.

There will be some notable absences from the festivities which make me kind of sad, but I understand. My friend Lee has a great gig going with a national park and won't be able to get away to make it. My buddy Doug in Tennessee has had some money issues, so I completely understand. Fortunately, virtually everyone else on my list confirmed that they would attend. There were some issues with invitations not reaching everybody for some reason, but all seems to be well now.

We are going to take a honeymoon of sorts, to Palm Springs. Now Palm Springs may be the gay mecca of the desert, but try finding a hotel that ISN'T clothing optional. I know, you're probably wondering why I wouldn't want to go to one but hey...it's my honeymoon, and I'm a big furry bastard that doesn't want to get nekkid in front of a bunch of people. Or be tempted by those who do. So we found a great place called the East Canyon Hotel and Spa which is a gay joint but is NOT clothing optional. We'll fly down on the 18th and stay three nights and see what Palm Springs has to offer. I'm just hoping for lots of air conditioning.

No comments: