Saturday, June 10, 2006

Out Of The Darkness Overnight

The Out Of The Darkness Overnight is a 20-mile overnight walk benefiting the American Foundation For Suicide Prevention. They are a great organization that helps to educate about depression and suicide, do research and counseling and give support to people who have been affected by it.

I thought it was a great cause, and I've chosen to walk to support, specifically, gay youth. It's horrible every time I read about a gay teenager who took their own life because they felt that their family, friends or society would never accept them. I know how it feels, so thought this would be a great way for me to do my part.

I have to raise $1000 in order to participate in the walk, and still have quite a ways to go. My employees have contributed over $100 so far, which is terrific. My boss has vowed to match personally whatever the employees contribute from all the stores in the district. I've contacted a lot of my friends who have been willing to donate.

Strangely, the people who don't seem to be that supportive are the gay community. I sent emails to both Andy at Towleroad and Joe at JoeMyGod, two of the most widely read gay blogs on the 'Net, asking them to mention what I was doing to see if I could get the gay community to rally around me and donate. They never answered, never posted anything on their site. I guess it's more important to keep posting pictures of shirtless athletes or Madonna or talk about getting laid than it is to use your clout in the community to help a good cause. My email group made up of authors and readers of gay material failed to generate a single donation either.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one walking specifically for gay youth support, which is kind of sad. However, I vow to raise the money and get out there. I was asked to walk in the Gay Pride Parade here in San Francisco on June 25th as part of the Out Of The Darkness group, but unfortunately I have to work and can't get out of it.

The walk is July 22nd -23rd. Anyone who wants to contribute to helping me raise money can do so at this link. Of course, please spread the word to anyone you know who might contribute.

No comments: