Friday, March 03, 2006

Thanks For....Err...Welll....Just About Nothing

Well, I attempted to do what my grandmother would call a mitzvah, or good deed....

I was contacted by the San Jose branch of the Muscular Dystrophy Association recently and asked if I'd be willing to help out with their fundraiser. Local business people allow themselves to be "arrested" and "raise bail," with the proceeds going to help kids with MS attend a summer camp that's especially tailored to them and where they can feel like normal kids. I, of course, thought it was a wonderful idea and jumped at the chance to be a part of it. Besides, my store is located in an extremely affluent area of the peninsula, and I figured raising money would be as easy as drinking water.

Never underestimate a rich person's inability to part with their money except for expensive toys.

Getting money out of these people was ridiculously impossible. We kept asking every customer to donate anything they could towards the really great cause. We kept getting pathetic excuse after pathetic excuse as to why they couldn't/wouldn't contribute. Then, they'd take their $100-300 purchase out to their Beamer or Hummer or Jag and drive away.

You know who contributed? People who clearly barely had enough money to keep them going. Oh yeah...and my staff? ONE person donated out of a staff of 10.

Amount donated by customers over ONE MONTH: $23
Amount donated by staff in ONE MONTH: $1
Amount donated by me: $25
Total to MDA: $49

I was so embarassed, that I couldn't even bring myself to attend the special lunch/lockup for everyone that participated. Which in a way was really too bad, since the cop they sent to arrest me was kind of short, stocky, muscly and I was more than willing to be handcuffed by him...

Sorry Jerry's Kids....the wealthy would rather spend their money on trinkets. As Aerosmith said: "Eat the rich...there's only one thing that they're good for."

No comments: